Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Duck River painting step by step

My first step here was to draw everything in pencil and then thoroughly wet the paper. Before I did this, I checked with my wife to make sure she didn't have any pressing tasks that would interrupt this. Once you wet the paper and start with the color, you can't stop until you're done. So I laid in some general color washes and tried to be as free and loose as I dared. Oh… I did use a little liquid masking material to preserve some whites in the waterfalls and tree branches.


After the previous step dried I began laying in large areas of shadow, trying to keep changing colors within the shadows to add interest. I went ahead and mainly finished the top section as I wanted to get that part behind me.


Then I continued laying in shadows and general details.


Finished painting is below in the previous post.

No comments:

Post a Comment