Saturday, May 18, 2013

Frustrated with oils

I am a watercolor person, but I am trying to expand my horizons with oil. I am trying to teach myself how to use oils in a quick "alla prima" fashion, but I am continually frustrated by the medium. Here is my latest effort: 6 by 6 inches on gesso board.



It just doesn't behave the way I want it to behave. Because nothing is dry, it all gets pushed around including the background tone. Its a mess. Then there is all the confusing advice about mediums. Ask five oil painters about mediums and you will get five different answers....including "mediums are for sissies."

Questions for the experts:

How many brushes do you usually use for one small painting?

How do you put one color on top of another color without the first color sliding away?

Any other advice?

As Gomer Pyle would say.... "Haaay-ulp!"







2 comments:

  1. I hope you get some answers or have figured it out for yourself. I guess this post is a couple weeks old by now (it's not dated). I can't help you with your questions, because I am an acrylics painter. Maybe some of Carol Marine's Art Tutorials on DPW would help? Good luck! Happy Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meredith. I am still plugging away. It looks like it kind of works if you just slop it on thicker and thicker.

    ReplyDelete